The Law of Ukraine “On mobilization preparation and mobilization” provides for responsibilities for citizens for mobilization and mobilization preparation:
- appear when called to the TCCSP for military registration of those liable for military service or reservists, determining their appointment for a special period;
- report to military units or assembly points of the TCCSP within the time limits specified in the documents they received (mobilization orders, summonses from the leaders of the TCCSP), or within the time limits determined by the commanders of the military units;
- provide in the prescribed manner during mobilization buildings, structures, vehicles and other property, the owners of which they are, to the Armed Forces of Ukraine, other military formations, the Operational Rescue Service of Civil Protection, with subsequent reimbursement by the state of their value in the manner prescribed by law.
The law distinguishes between women who have a specialty or profession related to the corresponding military specialty, defined in the list of the Ministry of Defense, and who have graduated from vocational (vocational), professional pre-higher or higher education institutions and received a medical or pharmaceutical specialty.
A female doctor or pharmacist (with a diploma) who is suitable for military service due to health and age is subject to registration as a person liable for military service., that is, necessarily.
But a woman with a specialty related to the corresponding military specialty (except for medical and pharmaceutical), and who is suitable for military service due to health and age, is registered as liable for military service at her request (Part 11 of Article 1 of the Law of Ukraine ” On conscription and military service”).
Women join the Armed Forces of Ukraine. What about military registration and which Ukrainian women will be mobilized in 2024?
Separately, I would like to note that the current list of professions related to the corresponding military specialties from the Ministry of Defense has still not been brought into line with the current version of the above-mentioned law. Therefore, now the list of related professions in relation to women should be applied within the limits that do not contradict the law.
So, among related specialties or professions, after obtaining which a woman is registered as liable for military service at her request (subject to health and age), we can highlight:
- chemical specialties;
- telecommunications and radio engineering;
- metrology, geoscience, astronomy;
- food technologies;
- accounting and taxation, marketing, management, entrepreneurship, economics, finance, banking and insurance;
- publishing and printing.
Women perform military duty on an equal basis with men (except for cases provided for by legislation on the protection of motherhood and childhood, as well as the prohibition of discrimination based on gender), which includes: voluntary acceptance (under contract) and conscription for military service, passage military service, serving in the military reserve, performing military duty in the reserve and complying with the rules of military registration.
Can conscripted women be drafted into the Armed Forces of Ukraine during war?
In wartime women registered with the military may be called up for military service or recruited to perform work to ensure the defense of the state. This is provided for in Part 12 of Article 1 of the Law of Ukraine “On Military Duty and Military Service”.
While registered with the military, a woman must:
- undergo training for military service, military service and perform military duty in the reserve;
- comply with the rules of military registration;
- arrive when called by the relevant TsKSP to prepare military registration documents (certificates of registration at conscription stations, military tickets, temporary certificates of those liable for military service), registration, undergoing a medical examination, referral to training in order to improve a military registration specialty, conscription for military service or gatherings of military personnel;
- undergo a medical examination and treatment in medical institutions in accordance with the decisions of the registration commission, draft commission or military medical commission of the relevant TCCSP;
- provide timely information about yourself (marital status, health status (after long-term treatment of an illness and (or) an illness resulting in partial (complete) loss of ability to work), addresses of residence, education, place of work and position.
Do women liable for military service need to clarify their data in the TCC?
Military laws define the responsibilities not only of those liable for military service, but also of employers and educational institutions, which ensures the functioning of the military registration mechanism.
Military records vary:
- personal-qualitative – recording of information (personal and official data) regarding those liable for military service at the declared (registered) place of residence and is maintained by the TsKSP, SBU bodies and units of the Foreign Intelligence Service;
- personal-primary – recording the information of those liable for military service at their place of residence in the corresponding administrative-territorial unit.
- personal – recording information about such persons at the place of their work (service) or study, is assigned to the heads of government agencies, local governments, enterprises, institutions and organizations.
If a woman receives a medical or pharmaceutical specialty, two months before completion of her studies, the educational institution must submit a list of such women to the TCC. These lists are the basis for women, after receiving education, to obtain a temporary certificate of military service for a period of 30 days (without determining the degree of suitability for performing military duty and registration marks) and entering information into the Unified State Register of Conscripts, Persons liable for Military Service and Reservists. In its turn, the woman undertakes to arrive at the TCC at her place of residence within 7 days from the date of receipt of the temporary certificate for military registration.
Mobilization of women: the Verkhovna Rada explained whether there is such a clause in the bill
If a woman works in a state body, local government body, or at an enterprise and has the education of a doctor or pharmacist and was not registered with the military, managers report the woman to the TCC.
If a woman with a medical or pharmaceutical specialty was not registered with the military before the approval of the Procedure, she can be employed as someone not liable for military service until the end of 2026. But after employment, the heads of bodies or institutions must inform the TCC about such a woman.
In a situation where a woman with a medical or pharmaceutical education is not employed, she must independently arrive at the TCC to register for military service. The timing of the arrival of an unemployed woman at the recruitment center is not determined by either the laws or the Cabinet of Ministers Procedure.
The author expresses his personal opinion, which may not coincide with the position of the editors. The author is responsible for the published data in the “Opinions” section.