On this day, December 5, 1893, the first Canadian electric car was built at the Dixon Carriage Works in Toronto. The fathers of the machine were the lawyer Frederick Bernard Fetherstonhaugh and the engineer William Still.
4 HP electric motor. With. accelerated an open two-seater car weighing 317 kg to 24 km/h. The batteries lasted for one hour of driving. Interestingly, they were charged using the recently installed electrical network for the railway.
The steering was quite simple. The continuous front axle with a central fastening, like on a cart, was turned using two cables and a tiller lever. Although the rest of the car was of a very progressive design: with electric lighting, a folding soft top and pneumatic tires. Later it was equipped with a windshield, steering knuckles on the front axle for better handling, as well as mud flaps.
The electric vehicle business in Canada began to develop in 1895, when the Canadian Motor Syndicate was created to produce electric vehicles. William Still was the chief engineer here. In 1899, he organized his own company, Still Motor Co. for the production of electric vehicles, including commercial ones. However, it did not last long – in 1900 its founder simply ran out of money.